1) For a very quick fun read – warning it may raise your temperature – try this from Tabatha Southey of the Toronto Globe and Mail who is fed up of people telling her she is obliged to like jazz.
Summary: “I do not like it at a fest. I do not like it as a test. I do not like jazz, boys. Deal with it.”
Comment: It’ll happen. When you least expect it.
2) For something longer and a LOT more meaty about the state of funding…. try the correspondence between Nate Chinen and Ronan Guilfoyle on Chinen’s the gig blog
3) Then there’s Terry Teachout wrote a “Can Jazz Be Saved?” article in the Wall Street Journal.
4) Peter Hum , a really knowledgeable journalist for the Ottawa Citizen wrote an entertaining piece about reavhing younger audiences.
5) Jason Parker, a professional trumpet player from Seattle responded to (3) and (4), under the heading Jazz: A Museum Piece or a Living, Breathing Artform? It’s Up to Us!