1) “The reactions of those who don’t know how to play have value.”
2) “I don’t play an instrument.”
3) “Musical ability should not be a prerequisite for jazz critics.”
4) “I’m more interested in how well they can hear what is happening in a performance.”
5) “It’s not absolutely essential for them to be able to play.”
Here’s the full piece.
Ronan Guilfoyle, one of the people asked, has taken the discussion further, and concludes: “it’s a fascinating read for anyone interested in how the music is written about.”