– A Youtube clip from the tour just ended.
– The band living quietly and comfortably in Steve Swallow‘s tune up till 2:18.
– Then Mike Walker builds a solo gently but inexorably from the simplest beginnings up to 4:29.
– Then Gwilym Simcock takes it higher and higher towards 7:24.
– Then a minute of crisp attack from Adam Nussbaum …
– Approaching 8:26 when Steve Swallow‘s tune gets to open up. On the freeway, foot to the floor.
But who needs a Mercedes? Have a LEAD-SHEET courtesy of Steve Swallow’s website and – er, in theory anyway – you can try this at home.
What a cracking video – not flash, but captures their neat, tight, flowing playing so well, with great sound (from the control desk?) – and on YouTube there's much more from that Leeds gig at Seven Jazz which I'm listening to right now (http://www.youtube.com/user/stevecrocker1). Thanks for that post, Seb – an eye-opener!
I must add that a visit to Steve Swallow's website is absolutely essential! http://www.wattxtrawatt.com
It is just such a 'I didn't expect this' site packed with humour and information. I won't give anything away – but it's a breath of fresh air. Anarchy rools!