Winners at the German Echo Jazz Awards have been announced. (UPDATE)
Awards previously unannounced went to Melody Gardot, Toots Theiemans and ACT, for bestseller, lifetime achievement and label of the year respectively.
Not yet a subscriber of our Wednesday Breakfast Headlines?
Join the mailing list for a weekly roundup of Jazz News.
This morning, after the ceremony last night – there are no fewer than thirty-four videos up. Some in English like Kenny Garrett (admitting ignoranceof the German scene) and Jamie Cullum (with nice things to say about Go Go Penguin and Gregory Porter). The complete list of videos is HERE. And our listing of the award winners is HERE.
All the winners from the Awards night – Hamburg – 23rd May.
1. German Ensemble of theYear
Michael Wollny’s [em] “Wasted & Wanted”
2. International Ensemble of the YEar
Brad Mehldau Trio “Where Do You Start”
3. German Male Singer of the Year
Michael Schiefel “An Berliner Kinder”
4. Internatonal Male Singer of the Year
Curtis Stigers “Let’s Go Out Tonight”
5 German Female Singer of the Year
Caro Josée “Turning Point”
6 International Female Singer of the Year
Malia “Black Orchid”
7. German instrumentalist of the Year Piano/Keyboards
Florian Weber “Biosphere”
8. International instrumentalist of the Year Piano/Keyboards
Vijay Iyer “Accelerando”
9. German instrumentalist of the Year Saxophone/Woodwinds
Lutz Häfner “Deep”
10. International Artist of the Year Saxophon/Woodwinds
Kenny Garrett “Seeds From The Underground”
11.German instrumentalist of the Year Drums/Percussion
Bastian Jütte “Hassliebe”
12. International Artist of the Year Drums/Percussion
Brian Blade “Quiver”
13. German instrumentalist of the Year Bass/Bass Guitar
Sebastian Gramss “Homo Ludens”
14. International Artist of the Year Bass/Bass Guitar
Avishai Cohen “Duende”
15. German instrumentalist of the Year / Brass
Nils Wülker “Just Here, Just Now”
16.International Artist of the Year /Brass
Christian Scott “Christian A Tunde Adjuah”
17. German instrumentalist of the Year
Guitar Giovanni Weiss “Wilhelmsburg”
18.International Artist of the Year Guitar
Lionel Loueke “Heritage”
19. German instrumentalist of the Year Other Instruments/Vibraphone
Wolfgang Schlüter “Visionen”
20. International Artist of the Year Other Instruments/Violin
Adam Baldych “Imaginary Room”
21. German Newcomer of the Year
Sebastian Sternal “Symphonic Society”
22. Lifetime Achievement
23. Editorial Achievement of the Year
Hans Lüdemann “Die Kunst des Trios 1-5”
24. Bestseller of the Year
Melody Gardot The Absence
25. Big Band-Album of the Year
Stefano Bollani & NDR Bigband “Big Band!”
26. DVD of the Year
Renaud Garcia-Fons “Solo – The Marcevol Concert”(ABOVE)
27. Jazz Promoter of the Year
Sedal Sardan / Jazz-Club A-Trane Berlin
28. Jazz-Label of the Yea
ACT Music + Vision
29. Company of the Year
30. Live-Act of the year
The original report in German is HERE.
I went to the awards. A glamorous event, really well stage managed. Streamed live by NDR on its web site, followed by a national TV broadcast last Saturday.
Almost all the great and the good of German jazz were there, along with special guest performances by Jamie Cullum and Joshua Redman. And that is despite Hamburg lying a long way from most of the main German cities – Cologne is 4 hours away and Munich 6, by fast train. (Perhaps that's one reason why I was surprised not to see anyone there from ECM as it's based in Munich).
Over the following two days, we had the Elbjazz Festival. So it was a helluvaweekend for jazz up there.