|Dr Munira Mirza|
Dr Munira Mirza, Deputy Mayor for Education and Culture for London, and the author of ‘The Politics of Culture: The Case for Universalism’ (2011) has done a podcast for the Spitalfields Festival website. It can be listened to here.
Her argument is as follows:
– London has incredible cultural life
– It brings economic benefit, notably through attracting tourism
– It is not just big institutions but also small-scale and experimental
– ‘Can’t assume funding will be there’
– There is a need to safeguard culture against dangers, those dangers being:
1) Economic growth and high land values mean that artists are priced out of living in many areas of London
2) Regulation /licensing: there is a tendency by the boroughs to over-control.
3) Free expression can be under threat from nervousness in the face of actual and potential censorship.