LUME is a London-based platform for original and improvised music run by musicians Cath Roberts and Dee Byrne. Their gigs feature artists from across the UK creative music scene and beyond, acting as a space for new work and experimental music-making.
With just seven days to go on their Kickstarter, they write about their plans for a major event in LUME’s development, the LUME Festival 2016, on June 26th at IKLECTIK ARTLAB:
Our idea was to do something a bit different to round off our 2015/16 season of gigs, so we decided to put on our first ever LUME Festival.
If the Kickstarter is successful we’ll be taking over IKLECTIK ARTLAB near Waterloo on Sunday 26th June for a one-day celebration of all things LUME: original and improvised music from the UK and beyond, friendly vibes and good times.
We thought it would be great to make a day of it and put on a selection of amazing new music from around the UK and beyond.
We put the call out for artist submissions in January, and had an overwhelming response. 135 artists took the time to fill out the form and send us their music! We had a tough time narrowing it down, but after three days of intensive listening and discussion, we’ve compiled a day of fresh, cutting-edge new music.
FINAL LUME FESTIVAL LINEUP
Ant Traditions (Manchester)
Top notch Manchester improv from Adam Fairhall (toy pianos) and Dave Birchall (electric guitar)
Fantastic trio of Julie Kjær (alto sax), Rachel Musson (tenor sax) and Hannah Marshall (cello)
Little Church (Birmingham)
Quintet led by David Austin Grey (nord/synth/FX) playing compositions inspired by Miles Davis electric period featuring Rachael Cohen (alto sax), Chris Mapp (bass/electronics) and Tymek Joswiak (drums).
Hot Beef Three (Leeds)
Trio with some of Leeds’ finest improvisers: Oliver Dover (saxes), Andrew Lisle (drums), Craig Scott (guitar)
Coming over from Austria! With Led Bib’s Mark Holub (drums), Pamelia Stickney (theremin) and Chris Janka (guitar)
Article XI (Manchester)
Freewheeling large ensemble led by guitarist Anton Hunter, with: Oliver Dover (alto sax), Sam Andreae (tenor sax), Cath Roberts (baritone sax), Johnny Hunter (drums), Seth Bennett (bass), Graham South, Nick Walters (trumpet), Tullis Rennie, Richard Foote (trombone)
– We’ve also invited Gina Southgate to come and capture the day on canvas, and Alex Fiennes to record the performances!
– All the money raised in the Kickstarter will go straight towards artist fees and travel expenses. Our aim is always to pay all artists who play at LUME a decent fee.
– With your help, we can put on everyone in the list above and pack the day full of music.
– This is just the beginning: hopefully next year the festival can grow, creating more space for original and improvised music to be played and heard.
– If you find the prospect of this exciting or even mildly interesting, please visit our Kickstarter page to read more and if you’re able to pledge, your support would be massively appreciated!