The five finalists are announced today 6 November for the BBC Young Jazz Musician 2020. A socially-distanced Final will take place at Cadogan Hall on Saturday 14 November, and the final will be broadcast by BBC Four on 22 November, the final night of the EFG London Jazz Festival.
The 2020 BBC YJM Finalists. L-R: Deschanel Gordon, Kielan Sheard, Alex Clarke, Matt Carmichael and Ralph Porrett.
The finalists are:
– 21-year-old saxophonist Matt Carmichael, from Glasgow and currently a student at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland;
– 20-year-old saxophonist Alex Clarke, born in South Cheshire and already taking her first steps in the world of professional music;
– 22-year-old pianist Deschanel Gordon, from Hackney, London and a recent graduate at Trinity Laban;
– 21-year-old guitarist Ralph Porrett, from Telford, Shropshire and currently a student at Guildhall School of Music and Drama; and
– 18-year-old double bassist Kielan Sheard, originally from Hertfordshire, who has just joined Trinity Laban.
The finalists will perform with Nikki Yeoh’s Infinitum, her trio with Michael Mondesir (bass) and Mark Mondesir (drums).
The judges are Nubya Garcia, Orphy Robinson and Guy Barker. Presenter will be YolanDa Brown.
The past winners were: 2014: Alexander Bone, 2016 Alex Ridout, 2018 Xhosa Cole